Friday, April 3, 2009

taking things apart - this applies perhaps to memes


not to mention multichannel and memes
this from an interview
KATHY ACKER: The way I talk about myth is in terms of narratives. I was never interested in narratives until fairly recently when I started writing _Empire of the Senseless_ and I realized I could come to an end. I think that I see not only writing, but all that is presented to us, in terms of text. Until _Empire of the Senseless_ I was basically interested (except in my very early stuff), in taking texts apart to see how they worked when meshed together with other bits and pieces of writing. I had come to the end of certain areas of what's called "Postmodernist theory." I began thinking that there is enough taking apart already. The society in which I grew up, the very hypocritical society of the 50's, is over with, and now everything is very surface, knowable. So, there's no reason to have to constantly take things apart and investigate them to see how they work. What we really need is some kind of instruction. I greatly distrust the usual bourgeois linear narrative of the 19th century, where the reader identifies with the character and the character goes through various moral crises. So I was searching structurally for a new kind of narrative, and that's when I became very interested in myths. Myths were narratives that were presented prior to that whole bourgeois structure.
.... and this applies to billy
There were very different relationships between art and community. I've always seen art as being something active (or hopefully so, god knows we're marginalized out of existence these days). Ideally, art and the political processes of the community should be interwoven.

and this applies to fragmentation:
Because communities, or what pass as communities, are composed of people who face the similar problem of trying to organize meaning from fragmented bits of texts?

i wonder... i think i may have just
finally
at last
discovered theory.

thank you, kathy acker

No comments: